You will definitely love to have a garage that can run natural gas so that you can easily heat whatever you want to heat, right? Do you know that you can run a gas line to your detached garage? Here, we will be showing you the basic things that you need to know on how to run a gas line to a detached garage.
Things To Consider
Dealing with natural gases is very big deal that is why it is important that you take this seriously or else, you may injure yourself. That is the reason why we have prepared a few things that you need to consider before you start installing a gas line and these are the points that you need to take note:
- Asses your current skill regarding the task.
- Always prioritize your safety. It is crucial that you go slow and be precise in every step that you take and make sure that you will not involve gas until you know it is safe.
- Consult an expert and verify if you can install a gas line and if what you plan will apply to your situation.
Start By Laying Out Your Route
Of course, you will have to start your route from here your gas line begins. Start your route near it and then branch this up until in reaches your garage line. Commonly, you will have to run your line underground. And since you want this to be safe, you have to make sure that you look for the shortest route and avoid landscaping areas or any areas where it is rocky and difficult to deal with.
You have to bear in mind that you will be working a trench with a size of 12 inches wide and 20 inches deep. So, make sure that you do the mapping correctly.
Consider Your Bill Of Material
After planning your map, you have to ponder on the type of pipe that you will be using now to achieve your plan. If you are opting to run the line underground, the pipe that you will have to use is the poly pipe. If you wish to run it above ground, you can just use the usual black pipe.
Aside from the pipe material, you also need to be familiarized with the various fitting options that the manufacturer offers for various pipes. Also, know that adding a secondary shut-off valve on the location where the line enters the garage is also a good thing to do.
Once you have obtained all the necessary materials and once you are ready to install the lines, do not forget to borrow a trencher so that you can cut your trench easily.
Installing The Lines
Here, we will show you the step-by-step process that you will be doing so that you can install your lines properly.
1. Find the gas valve and cut it off so that you will be assured that you will work safely.
2. Cut your trench with the trencher. Be sure to avoid the roots so that you will not have a difficult time in this process.
3. Lay your pipe. Be sure that you follow the fittings that the manufacturer has instructed and make sure that you arrange and seal properly all connections. Do not be in a hurry in doing this step so that you will not have an accident.
4. After you have laid down the pipe, exit it through the trench and install the valve in the garage.
5. Run the interior piping in the appliance that you want to run.
Inspecting The Installation
Before you close your trench, be sure that you inspect thoroughly the pipes and test the lines so that you can guarantee that everything is properly sealed. Also, see to it that you do your research regarding local code requirements so that you can do your testing accurately.
Normally, there are 2 kinds of testing that are done, and both involves testing the pressure by applying compressed air to the line. So, after you apply the compressed air, the tests that you need to do are these:
- Take a mixture of dish detergent and water (1:1) and then spray it on all connections. Observe for bubbles and if there is, be sure to double check the connection and your seals.
- Apply pressure meter at the end of your line and allow 24hrs for the compressed air to register it. If you noticed that the pressure has dropped, there is a possibility of leakage in your line and you must address it immediately.
So, are you ready now to install a gas line in your garage? Take note that you must be extra careful in doing this so that you will not put yourself and your family in danger. Now, in order for you to be assured that your garage is safe for gas line installation, make sure that you let the experts inspect your garage first. The best professionals that can do this is Direct Service Overhead Garage Door Company.
Check out also the Tips To Make Your Garage Multipurpose.